There comes a time in every parent’s life when they realize that they have sort of maybe missed teaching some crucial life lesson somewhere. Like if somebody says it might be poison ivy, don’t rub it all over yourself.
Gabe’s friend Matt: Hey, I think this is poison Ivy, guys.
Joe: Yeah, I’m pretty positive that’s poison Ivy.
Joe takes one for the team and touches it with his index finger tip.
Joe: No, it isn’t stinging me. I don’t think it’s poison ivy.
Gabe: IT ISN’T POISON IVY! I’LL PROVE IT.
Gabe proceeds to rub a bunch of it all over his arms to make his point.
Kait wanders over to see what the commotion is all about: Um, guys, that’s poison Ivy. GABE, WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING?!?! YOU’RE AN IDIOT!
Gabe: Oh. Crap.
So Kait sent him home, along with 8 year old Ben who also touched it. I had them wash well with dish soap and hopefully they both managed to remove all the poison oils from their skin.
I asked Gabe if he minded me putting this story on the blog and he said, No. It’s funny. I’m going to be famous.