shame no more
Have you ever received a gift from somebody that you didn’t really know what to do with? Have you ever received two of the same items or gotten something you already owned?
Well, then. It would appear that National Re-gifting day is for you!
We no longer need to feel guilty about re-gifting! Now that it has it’s own day we can celebrate it, not hide in shame about it.
National Re-Gifting Day is December 18th. Even if you don’t have any gifts that fall into the above categories you can still have an enjoyable time this re-gifting day. It’s always fun to give, so use December 18th as another excuse to give your heart out.
There are two types of re-gifting. There’s the “upper crust” re-gifting. Then there is the redneck re-gifting. Either one is suitable for December 18th. Because it is a nation wide holiday all rules are off – sorta like a re-gifting open season, if you will.
Here’s what ya do to make the most of this day if you’re an upper crust re-gifter.
- Look around your house for something in giftable condition. Although the gift being re’d shouldn’t be something dusty, a gently used gift might be acceptable – use good judgement, remembering that your a higher class re-gifter. It is always preferable, however, if the gift is new and unopened. Keep in mind that it would be a gross injustice to purchase something new just for this occassion.
- Inspect the gift for cleanliness. If it needs a dusting or cleaning it isn’t re-giftable – don’t even try to pull that one off if your an upper crust re-gifter.
- Choose the person you’ll be re-gifting this year. You’ll want to do your best to re-gift to a person who will appreciate the re-gifted item. Though you’ll want to be extra careful not to re-gift back to the person who originally gave you the gift. That would be what we call not good.
- Carefully wrap the gift. New wrapping paper is nice, or a recycled gift bag in good condition is acceptable. You may want to purchase a new card or tag for the gift.
- Deliver the re-gift to the recipient. If you’re participating in re-gifting day it is okay if the recipient knows it’s a re-gift. That’s all in the spirit of the day.
Now, if you want to go redneck re-gifting (more fun in my opinion, and definitely way more interesting)…
- Choose a gift from any shelf, corner, under the bed, that you think you won’t miss later. That old frying pan you burnt this morning making grits may be perfect for Memaw since her failing eye sight may have her fooled into thinking the black coating on the bottom is just non-stick residue.
- Clean the gift a little – or at least gift it a good puff of air to get any loose dust off.
- Wrapping the gift in an old Walmart plastic bag is popular. Use duct tape to seal it up if you’re plum out of scotch. Newspaper works good, too. There is also that stack of blue hospital bed pads that you came home with after a hospital stay. Ahem. Don’t ask.
- Remember to take the gift along with you when you go over to watch WWF on the big screen at Bubba’s house. You’ll be sure to run into your gift recipient there.
Remember, Folks, National Re-gifting day only comes once a year. Make the most of it!
Filed under: Uncategorized
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!